Grimsby 01472 240251 Scunthorpe 01724 847888 Louth 01507 600610 Barton 01652 632 215
I need help with...

Get in touch

Send us your contact details and short message, and one of our legal advisors will be in touch


The breakdown of a relationship can be a difficult and emotionally testing time. The law in this area can be complex and changes frequently in line with changes in society.

At times like this there are often well-meaning friends and relatives offering advice, which can be misplaced and add to the confusion of the situation. To obtain a divorce in the UK it is necessary to prove that the marriage has irretrievably broken down.

Irretrievable breakdown can be established by the following:
•    Your husband or wife has committed adultery and you find it intolerable to live with them
•    Your husband or wife has behaved in such a manner that you cannot be reasonably expected to live with them
•    You have lived apart for two years and you both agree to there being a divorce
•    Your husband or wife has deserted you for a period of two years or more
•    You have lived apart for five years or more - a divorce can be secured whether your husband or wife agrees to there being a divorce or not

We can assist you in issuing proceedings to end a marriage, or help you if you have received a divorce petition from your Partner. We can also assist and advise in the practical and financial arrangements following separation.

Our experienced advisors offer expert advice to help you through this period. We pride ourselves of a sympathetic and caring service that provides clear practical advice to enable you to deal with the process of re-building your life.

If you would like to discuss divorce in the event of a relationship breakdown, contact our Family Departments in Grimsby on 01472 240 251, Louth on 01507 600 610 or Scunthorpe on 01724 847 888.